Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Reading

B took this with his phone.

I have been up to the cabin quite a bit over the past two months and it has been lovely.  Words can't quite describe waking up to the cool fresh air.  I even enjoy the birds singing.  I don't know what they are saying so early in the morning but it must be shouts of joy that another day has begun.  A while ago, someone told me that waking up each morning is symbolic of the Resurrection.  It give me a different perspective as I greet the sun peeking over the mountains.  And since I am of a certain age, I don't sleep as much now and wake up before the sunrise so I actually do get to see the sun rise.

The fires in various hotspots in Utah gave the sunsets an extra wow factor this week.

What I've been reading:

The Well and The Mine by Gin Phillips

1493 -- Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann
The Beach by Elin Hildebrant
(just bought another one of hers entitled Summer People)
Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende
What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg
People of Darkness, A Thief of Time, and Sacred Clowns by Tony Hillerman

I recently pulled from my bookshelf for a re-read:  Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.

I've been trying to locate B's original copy of The Two Towers (he got this particular copy when he was in the 5th grade) because that is what he is reading for the 12th time.  It is the first time he's re-read it since he read it to D when D was in the fifth grade.  It was our tradition:  I read the Book of Mormon with the kids before their baptism and B read the Lord of the Rings trilogy with them when they were in 5th grade.  I hope they treasure those memories as much as we do.

1 comment:

  1. I love the cabin.

    How could I not remember reading with you guys. It's the beginning of my own testimony AND my love of LOTR. Its a tradition I hope to continue.

    ReplyDelete