Thursday, June 28, 2012

Projects: I need to stay busy or . . .

Picture borrowed from Stitches and Sewforth


This is the latest quilt I am trying to do.  
I learned a few things.  
When it says to iron on the Pellon on the WRONG side of the fabric, 
it doesn't mean to iron it on the RIGHT side of the fabric.  
Wrong is right in this case.  
Sharp pointy scissors are the best for tight corners 
but aren't so good for big man hands like mine.  
And the most important:  
a quilt won't get made sitting in the cupboard.

I am enjoying quilting.  
It has helped me on so many levels.  
I have to do a shout-out to my friend, Dana, 
and her quilting business, My Lazy Daisy.
She has been a huge help in so many ways.

The other project I've been working on is for
the New Mexico Genealogical Society 
and the 1918-1919 Death Certificates.  
I received a file of pictures that were identified numerically.  
My job is to re-name them with the person's name and death date.  
If you didn't catch the dates, here's a little history update.   

World War I (The War to End all Wars) ended on 11 November 1918.  
The flu pandemic, known as the Spanish flu, lasted from 
January 1918 to December 1920.  
Between 50 to 130 million people died. 
 Over 500 million were infected.  
Because of the tight quarters where soldiers were stationed 
and how they travelled to various places to come home, 
the flu spread quickly.  
This particular flu affected young adults most severely.

Okay, so back to the NMGS project.
As I re-name the certificates, 
I also notice how they died.  
I've seen mine injuries, a shotgun or two, farm injuries, and infant mortality.

But the bulk of the people died from the flu.  

One the names I did today was Tony Rigoni.  
Say it out loud; it sort of rolls off the tongue!
A few certificates later was Mary Rigoni, his 14-year old daughter.
A few more certificates was Humbert Rigoni, his 6-month old son.
And when I got to Emma Rigoni, his wife, tears came quickly.
A family in just one week.

I try to do 100 per day and there are about 1600 left in the file.
But I got stuck today because of the Pigoni family
and couldn't complete my daily total. 
I'll get back to it tomorrow
where I hope my emotions won't get the best of me.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun quilt.

    What a cool project. So sad to see a whole family.

    ReplyDelete