Monday, August 27, 2012

Summer's Almost Over



It is hard to believe that summer is almost over and the cool autumn weather will soon be here.  I can't wait.  Since I am a woman of a certain age, I have been plagued with the hots.  I am always hot.  When I walk out onto the porch or deck at home or at the cabin, I feel like one of those flaming meteors whirling into the Earth.  I feel like I am radiating so much heat that everything around me is going to burst into flames -- maybe I am channeling Like Water For Chocolate.  So I am looking forward to the cool of autumn and the chill of winter.  I promise I will not complain about being cold as I trudge up Webb Hill every morning.  It will feel good to wear a jacket or sweatshirt.

I have played with Donovan and Charlie, Lindsay and Randy, Derek and Bob this summer.  We've been to the cabin, to Logan, to Las Vegas, and various places in between.  I've eaten great food and enjoyed wonderful desserts.  I've cried over dead lawn, pulled weeds, and mowed grass that was too long!  I've gone swimming, laid in the sun, biked in the cool of morning, visited with my sisters and aunts, went to Wicked with my family, rode in the Red Riding Hood bike ride, hiked Bald Mountain, walked the dogs, and read a ton of books -- almost too many to count -- and very few of them worth mentioning.  I have been reading the Tony Hillerman books and have really enjoyed them.  I read a preview book (The Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber) that I liked and found another author that can be a hit or miss (Elin Hilderbrand).  I made a bunch of receiving blankets, but didn't put much of a dent on my Little Red Hen quilt.  I completed a project for the NMGS, and one for DSC Library, both family history related.  And I started a new article although it has sort of stalled out for now.



If you look at how time goes by, you could say that I haven't done much this summer.  But on the other hand, if you think about how each day is a gift, I have completed a bunch of projects.  Half full or half empty.  I like to think half full.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun, family-filled summer - the best kind. Bring on the cool weather!

    ReplyDelete