Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We made it back from the cabin where the weather was delightful and I slept peacefully each night. Came home to the heat where I was awakened at 3 am by dogs who were too hot under the covers. Now I feel dragged out and don't want to do anything productive.

I re-read Custer and Crazy Horse (mentioned in my previous post). A lot of historical information. The battle of Little Bighorn was over fairly quickly, but it spelled doom to the the Plains Indian way of life. I liked one quote specifically "At the Washita, Custer was serving his nation and helping his nation realize its destiny. Every person who has even taken a train to California, or settle there or in Kansas, or driven an automobile through the area, or eaten the wheat or beef grown on the Plains, has reaped the benefit of the Washita battle. History is not black or white nor is it propaganda. History is ambiguous, if told honestly. It is hard enough to figure out exactly what happened and why; it is impossible to play God and judge the right or wrong of a given action, even the Washita." The Washita battle was prior to Little Bighorn. It was probable cause for other battles -- two peoples defending their rights to survival. The books left me wondering about a lot of things as well as where I stand on certain issues.




No comments:

Post a Comment