Monday, August 2, 2010

We went to Yosemite for a few days and rode around on the bike trails. Not only was the scenery so incredibly beautiful, it was a lot of fun to be out on the bike. After looking at the picture, I realized "wow, my legs are really white this summer!" We had a great time together and it brought back some fun memories from B's childhood. His family used to go camping a lot and Yosemite was one of their favorites. It is certainly a place of magic and awe.

New Book: Work Song by Ivan Doig.
It is a follow-up book to The Whistling Season and its main character is Morrie, the school teacher who is now a jack-of-all trades librarian. Again, Ivan Doig knows how to use language to convey feeling, action, history, and knowledge. I really liked it but then again I have enjoyed most of his books. I'm going to have to give Sea Runners another try. I'm also in the process of reading a book about Alexandria. What a place! I wouldn't have been considered a great thinker/scientist/philosopher but I would have loved to see the manuscripts in the great library and toured the great museum and stood at the top of lighthouse on Pharos. I liked reading about the legend of how the Septuagint (first Greek translation of Hebrew scripture) came to be.

Went up Webb Hill today x 3. It was hard but then again it really isn't ever very easy. My only goal at this point is to make it down on the third time without collapsing and so far so good. One of these days, I will move the goal up to actually keeping up with my walking partner.



1 comment:

  1. You are looking good :)

    I think anyone who attempts the hill x3 is a little crazy, but I know you can do anything you set your mind to. I'll just cheer you on from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete