Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day. Most people see it as a three-day weekend, or a day off from school. I guess I'm not much different, but it does help me remember what a great country we live in, and that there are great men who have led the country and made a difference at their time and for us now. There is a book about George Washington where I read he made an incredible decision -- it was the first time ever a leading military commander made the choice of not being king. He wanted the "great experiment" to work. In a book about Abraham Lincoln, he made a comment "all I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother." An interesting thing about this quote is that it is about his stepmother, who came into his life when he was nine years old. His own mother had passed away, and he came to love his stepmother who taught him so many things. I am grateful for the President we have now. I may not agree with all his choices but am grateful our form of democracy works.

Valentines Day: we went for the celebration a little early. We drove to Palm Springs via the Mojave Desert Preserve. We had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory (ate our favorite Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp) and then dinner at the Tuscan (Spaghetti Bolognese/Fettucine with Sausage and Onions). Our bike rides were fun with a little bit of work thrown in -- I rode the 55 with the some family friends, while B rode the 100 with two friends from work. Our post-ride meal was In and Out Burger and we each ordered our own fries! Usually we share so this was a big deal. While we aren't the best romantics on the planet, I know he loves me and he knows I love him. We make a pretty good "old couple" and there is joy when two people think alike.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you wrote about our past Presidents a bit. I always think of Washington D.C. and Derek on Presidents Day. I too am grateful for our current President. I'm glad that you've always taught me to support our government but that we do not necessarily have to agree.

    I am blessed to know that my parents love each other. Not everyone gets that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you had a great V day with your lover boy "B". R and I had a very nice day too. Quiet and uneventful, we went for a drive and just talked, then had a nice dinner with the kids.
    I finished my two little quilts and gave them to my girls. I hope they enjoy them. R&I had a lot of fun working on them together. They are not perfect, but it was kind of cool to know that they came from both of us. He is ready to start a new project. Who knew, my husband the seamstress ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had a great V'tine day. Trent & Cory got me 1/2 doz red roses and a "love" balloon. I thought it was very cute and nice. They went out to PF Chang's for dinner but I stayed home but we went to Cafe Rio the next night for dinner, my treat to them for V'tine's Day. I went to the cemetary to take flowers, too. I taught my lesson in Relief Society so my day was full. I love your blog and it's fun to see/hear what you are doing. I also had a great respect for the office of President of the U.S. I still remember dad having a picture of Pres. Kennedy on the wall of his bedroom. I'm glad we live in a free country were we can do most everything we want (that's legal) and live our lives in freedom. Love ya Mary

    ReplyDelete